Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:51:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, jrs@enteract.com, fullermd@futuresouth.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, RCHILDER@hamquist.com, ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 Swap partitions limit (was  Re: RE: Little question (offtopic))

From: http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ235.html#238

12.1. FreeBSD uses far more swap space than Linux. Why?

FreeBSD only appears to use more swap than Linux. In actual fact, it
does not. The main difference between FreeBSD and Linux in this
regard is that
FreeBSD will proactively move entirely idle, unused pages of main
memory into swap in order to make more main memory available for
active use.
Linux tends to only move pages to swap as a last resort. The
perceived heavier use of swap is balanced by the more efficient use
of main memory.

Note that while FreeBSD is proactive in this regard, it does not
arbitrarily decide to swap pages when the system is truely idle.
Thus you will not find
your system all paged out when you get up in the morning after
leaving it idle overnight.

--Jeff