Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:19:53 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this spam (Geez)

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On 11/26/01 07:18 AM, David Kirchner sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>=20
> > While you may have decided that letting your users continue to get spam=
 is OK,
> > that's your choice.  However, in today's Internet environment, clearly =
the
> > Right Thing to do is for spam filtering to be centralized on the mailse=
rver,
>=20
> This is OK to do as long as you make it very clear to each user when
> they're signing up that you are filtering their messages and you notify
> them of the chance that legitimate e-mail could be caught by filters (it
> happens). It's a good idea to allow users to opt-out of such filtering,
> too (although the anti-spammers will probably rail me for that suggestion.
> Heheh. opt-out. heheh.)

Now, I was afraid this would turn into  a holy war, and It looks to be
headed down that path.

No one can  reasonably claim that letting your users  get spammed is a
form of censorship.  Especially if they are allowed to  opt out of the
filtering process. Do I want to  censor content on my computer? Da..rn
straight. I have a  child at home and I want to  make sure she doesn't
learn about certain things until I think she's ready. That's my job as
a father.

In spite of my Catholic upbringing (or maybe because of it?), I'm dead
against any  form of censorship. So  long as censorship is  defined as
the prevention of  a willful exchange of  information between parties,
in which no other party is  exploited or harmed against their will. Is
that a good enough definition? I'm not a lawyer, so I know someone out
there will be inclined to expand  upon that, but please don't. This is
getting far enough OT.

Anyway, No, I wouldn't rail you  for your suggestion above, I think it
keeps  you  out of  the  censorship  crowd  pretty well,  while  still
offering protection to  those users who have better things  to do. Few
people still pay a timescale for their internet access, but their ISPs
do essentially pay for every second  their customers are dialed up. It
uses resources.  When all their customers  have to spend more  time on
the line  to get all  the spam filtered,  this increases the  level of
resources that must be available.

So, I still think ISPs are fully justified in simply saying 'your mail
will be filtered to prevent spam from stealing ISP resources'. So long
as they notify their users.

The censorship  issue is  not appropriate  (IMHO) to  this discussion,
tho. Aside  from dragging this further  down OT road, it  is minor and
easily avoided so far as it applies to the topic of spam.

Sorry to  everyone for dropping  another slew of opinions  (and that's
all they  are, no  need to argue  it because I'm  stubborn :).  I will
follow this thread  for at least a little while,  but I'll endeavor to
keep my 2 cents out of it from here on.

HAND
Lou
--=20