Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:34:48 +0100
From:      Olivier <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended partitions laptop + server...

--------------060502020608060900010000

Hi Kiffin!

>Who can offer me suggestions for the best way to partition my laptop?
>
>12.5 GBytes HD
>512 MB memory
>Dell Inspiron 8200 PIII
>
>I am thinking about the following:
>
>/	4G
>SWAP	512M
>/home	remaining
>
>Is this correct?

It depends very much on what you want to do. However, I would
recommend 8G for / (what leaves about 6G for /usr).

>Howabout a web server?
>
>40 GBytes HD
>512 MB memory
>AMD Sempron 3100+
>
>Thanks in advance.

I suspect you will want to play around with the web server.
Plan 16G for the system partition (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and swap).
This will take you a long way before you start being tight on
the edges.

Hope it helps
    Olivier

--------------060502020608060900010000--