Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 12:09:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        "Giap Vu" <giqu@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing network card

Giap Vu said:
>Hi,
>  I want to replace the current network card with an Intel Etherexpress
>16, but I don't know how.  Please help me.  By the way I want to use coax
>cable with the Intel card do I have to tell FreeBSD that during setup or
>it will autotomatically detect the transceiver type?

Most (all?) of the FreeBSD ethernet drivers won't autodetect the
transceiver type.  You'll need to set this up with the DOS-based setup
program for the card, as well as configuring the IRQ, I/O port, etc to
something appropriate for your machine.

On the FreeBSD side, you need to make sure that the driver for the card is
configured into your kernel.  For the EE16 this is the 'ie' driver (I think
-- someone please correct me if I'm wrong there).

If you're running the GENERIC kernel that was installed when you first
installed FreeBSD, then you already have this driver.  If you've built your
own kernel since then, make sure you have a line like

device ie0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 vector ieintr

somewhere in your kernel config file, then build a new kernel.  You can set
the card parameters in the config file or just use the '-c' option at boot
time.

All being well, the card will be detected (look for 'ie0' in the output of
the 'dmesg' command to confirm this) and just work.

	Scott