Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:47:48 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Raimbault?=" <stephane@cybersurf.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp problem

>  I have noticed the following in iijppp:
>
> when I type:  'show modem'    I notice the following line:  'outq: ioctt =
> probe failed'   and when I type: 'show log'   and I notice the following =
> line:  'Phase: Dead'

The outq problem is because the modem is not currently open.  I've
fixed this in -current.

Show log works ok for me though.

> This all occurs when I attempt to connect to my ISP.  I am trying to =
> connect to my ISP so that I can install FBSD.  I have never connected to =
> this ISP with FBSD but with Win95 it works fine, I do not use scripts in =
> Win95 so I assume the system uses chap or pap.  Can the problems above =
> prevent from dialing out and connecting and are the problems related?  I =
> have been able to connect to another ISP fine with BSD but that was =
> nearly a year ago! The ISP had a different set up than the one I am =
> attempting to connect nowadays.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Thank you for all your time.

Try setting up your authname, authkey etc and "accept PAP".  CHAP is
preferable, but your ISP probably does PAP :-(

Go to http://www.awfulhak.org/ppp.html for pointers to online ppp
docs.

> Stephane Raimbault.

[.....]

> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>

<PUKE></PUKE>
--