Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 02:09:48 +0100
From:      gurab <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm got stuck and restarts at logon

Does it start OK with the startx command?
If not, look into configuring your xserver using:

# xf86config

or through

#/stand/sysinstall  (recommended route)

there should be a .xsession file in you users directory, it should be
owned by the user and, executable. The easiest way to do it, is to copy
your .xinitrc file if you don't already have a .xsession file

$ cp .xinitrc .xsession
# chown <user name> .xsession
#chmod 775 .xsession

then try again. Also, look in the .xsession-errors file that has been
created in the users home directory. This file will tell you what went
wrong.

Cheers,
Chris R.

--
A computer is for life, not just for Christmas
http://www.freebsd.org/