Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:33:46 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8.0.5

Berend de Boer wrote:

> >     I recently started an Oracle 8 Admin course and so this
> > thread caught my
> > attention. I'd like to know if you have successfully
> > installed oracle 8 on
> > freebsd 2.2.7 and if so what were the tricks you had to work out.
>
> There should be an article from Marcel Moolenaar in the mailing list
> archives about this.

The course may be over by now, but (in other words: sorry for popping in so
late :-)

As far as I can tell, you cannot run Oracle on FreeBSD 2.2.x. If you cannot
upgrade to FreeBSD-stable (ie FreeBSD 3.x) you have to apply some patches to
the linux emulator in order to run Oracle on 2.2.x. You need at least the
patches in PR/9082 and PR/9232. You don't need threads support, so it should
be possible.

If you cannot find the HOWTO in the archive, let me know.

marcel