Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:06:53 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alex Varju <varju@webct.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freezes in 4.4RC on SMP Kernel

[Format recovered from top posting.]

Alex Varju <varju@webct.com> types:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Chynnee <chynnee@mindspring.com> types:
> > > ok, this might be a shot in the dark, but...
> > > i have the Asus P2B-D and i was having weird problems
> > > when using ACPI.  Apperently the P2B-D wasnt made to
> > > support ACPI correctly.  Asus happily reworked the board
> > > and it is fully functionaly.
> > Let me add another SMP freeze. This is on a Supermicro motherboard. If
> > I turn off gkrellm, the freezes stop happening. I've been turning
> > monitors back on slowly and seeing if they restart.
> Considering that you've seen problems with this, it seems worth mentioning
> that I also have gkrellm running all the time.  I have the following
> monitors enabled: Clock, CPU, Disk (composite), Network (xl0), Mailcheck,
> and Uptime.

I've been running that set with Proc and the memory monitors for the
last couple of days with no problem. Since the freezes normally happen
in a few hours, I suspect those aren't the problem.

> > At this point I suspect that one of the plugins is buggy and tweaking
> > the sensor in some way.

I turned on sensors this morning, and have had no problems
since. Trying the plugins sans sensors is the next step.

	<mike