Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:56:21 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <16322.47726.903593.393976@grasshopper.cs.duke.edu>
>             Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:
> :
> : M. Warner Losh writes:
> :  > In message: <16322.46449.554372.358751@grasshopper.cs.duke.edu>
> :  >             Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:
> :  > : I'll bet a larger percentage of our users build ports than need nss or
> :  > : ldap.
> :  >
> :  > I'll bet a larger percentage of the people are ignoring this thread
> :  > than reading it since it has been so devoid of concrete numbers.
> :
> : Aside from $SUBJECT..
>
> I'm just saying that most of the developers I'm talking to on IRC say
> this tread is insane, has no content and they are blowing it off
> because of that.  A concrete, real benchmark will go a long way
> towards changing that.  Until then, you are as good as kill filed.

Ding!  "Oh god, not another one!" *plonk*

We need nsswitch type functionality in /bin/sh.  To the people who want to
make it static, lets see some static binary dlopen() support or a nsswitch
proxy system.

If half as much effort had been spent on implementing such a thing as there
has been hand wringing, then we'd have the best of both worlds by now.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but its the reality of the situation.  Code
speaks louder than words.

Cheers,
-Peter