Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 21:24:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), 026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

> I like this idea. BUT.... You'll still get their SYNs and use up kernel
> memory. (Only the OUTBOUND packets will disappear into a black hole.)
> memory for awhile. Any way to filter the incoming ones without installing
> a full-up firewall?

Yea, but they aren't going to crawl very far around your website when
it looks like your not responding.  Also it should consume thier resources
at least a little bit, and I LIKE THAT IDEA!!!    Hummm... lets see.. how
can I consume more of thier resources and less of mine.... ahhh. got it...

ipdivert 209.133.111.0/24 www.imagelock.com.

    Yea, that outa confuse the snot out of them....... and if they change
IP's it'll still get em :-)

> --Brett
>
> At 08:39 AM 5/24/99 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.9905240157240.20631-100000@dragon>, Michael Richards
> >writes:

> > >I noticed we were hit by them this evening. 1250 requests in a few
> > >minutes. Since we're not running a firewall, is there a recommended method
> > >of filtering such people out? I think I did it with apache, but I'm
> > >wondering if there is a better method.
> >
> >Add a blackhole route to them:
> >
> >         route add -net <IP> -netmask <MASK> 127.0.0.1 -blackhole
> >
> >--
> >Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> >phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> >FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD
http://www.aai.dnsmgr.com