Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 13:38:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Alex Stamos <stamos@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

> GCC and Compaq's proprietary compiler.  Compaq's C compiler kicked
> GCC's ass in almost every metric.  My questions: Is such a compiler
> available for *BSD?

Not yet.  Talk to your friendly Compaq sales rep and request it. :)

> Why is GCC so bad at Alpha optimization when it does so well on x86?
> Is somebody asleep at the wheel here?

I don't know which "somebody" you're even referring to here, so it's
hard to answer that question.  gcc's alpha optimization will get
better when somebody makes it better.  The fact that it's weak has
been a very well-known fact for over 4 years now, but everyone keeps
waiting for "somebody" to ride up on his white horse, I guess.

- Jordan