Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:46:58 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Andy Kendall <andy@kendallnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manual updates

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:12:54PM -0000, Andy Kendall wrote:

> As a newb to FreeBSD I find that the manual/handbook is not great in detail,
> (understatement), and I seem to be relying on this questions list for a lot
> of help.
>
> In my opinion it relies on far too high a plateau of knowledge by it's
> readers to be of initial use.
>
> Am I really that thick or does anyone else feel this way?
>
> Do the email list respondents find themselves answering the same questions
> over and over?
>
> Is there some way I can help to upgrade the manual entries with the detail I
> find necessary to get things working and understand how they work, thereby
> hopefully benefiting following newbs?

You are welcome to submit improvements to the handbook or man pages.
The procedure is well documented on the web page.

> Is there a FreeBSD for dummies?

Probably a combination of the FAQ and numerous web pages with
howto lists that are out there in web-land make up the FreeBSd
for dummies.    I don't know of any specific publshed book of
that nature, but there are several good ones that might be called
FreeBSD for smart people.

////jerry