Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:47:46 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fonts have gone insane

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Coleman Kane wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm in the same boat here. It would seem that all of the fonts in my
> >> GTK/GNOME apps are messed up now and I am left with replacements of
> >> some
> >> core fonts. Seems to have coincided with some recent portupgrade,
> >> but I
> >> can't figure out what has done it. I recently upgraded
> >> x11-toolkits/gtk20 but the original poster mentions xfce...
> >>
> >> Trying to rebuild/install fontconfig...
> >>
> >> I tried the above removal of the /var/db/fontconfig directory which
> >> helped out none.
> >>

> > I ran into this with the Gnome 2.20 upgrade. I believe it has
> > something to do with anti-aliased fonts being used instead of bitmap
> > ones. I *think* it is to do with Xorg 7.3 rather than Gnome.... but
> > there is Gnome stuff you can do that sorts it if Gnome is your
> > window manager (see thread "Fonts, windows too large after 2.20
> > upgrade" in freebsd-gnome list).
>
> > For other window managers I'm not sure what you need to do (there
> > must be some xorg.conf magic - surely???). Maybe ask on the Xorg
> > mailing lists? (and enlighten us when you discover the answer!)
>
> After redoing a buildworld on sources that have been updated by new
> stuff committed during th portupgrade -afk the problem has cleared it
> self (I need to undo some changes I made to my settings)
I also took your suggestion, and performed a csup and then rebuilt
world/kernel and installed. Now my fonts seem to be back to normal in my
GNOME apps. Any idea wtf caused this? I am guessing that these apps
needed to communicate with gconfd in order to get their
run-time-configured font information... maybe the changes in the tree
prevented this from happening?

--
Coleman Kane