Date:      Wed,  5 Sep 2001 19:00:14 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        jim@nasby.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum vs. hardware RAID (was: RAID5)

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On the same vein, is booting off of vinum in the works yet? I know
> it's been looked into... It seems that would be one of the biggest
> advantages that hardware raid has over vinum.

For some definition of advantage that is.

I always prefer to NOT have / and /usr on a RAID. If the file system
gets corrupted (software bug, power/UPS failure, someone hits reset
button by accident, someone snags the power cable, bit rot causes
incorrect read and write back to the file system, you make a mistake
and delete some important file, or a million other causes) you are dead
in the water, since the RAID does it's duty and copies the flawed data
to all drives.

I view the / and /usr partitions as more or less static, and only put
the partition containing user data on the RAID. If something important
changes in / or /usr, I mirror those to the backup disk manually. Now
if any of those partitions gets corrupted beyond repair (or beyond the
abilities of some remote operator), I simply have to swap the drives
and am back in business. I think a setup like this is actually safer.

Just my $.02.

Gerd