Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:31:59 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RME audio card user new to FreeBSD

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 17:20 +0400, Ruslan Bukin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:29:25PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > As a Linux user for a long time, interested in audio engineering, I've
> > got bad luck with a RME HDSPe AIO audio card.
> > Under Linux only ADAT channels 1 and 2 can be used.
> > It's written that a FreeBSD driver does support all 8 ADAT IOs.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using analog IO with RME AIO on FreeBSD.
>
> 8 adat channels can be used on single speed only (48Khz),
> but no one tested it yet.
>
> i.e.,
> 1 and 2 adat channels are available on quad speed (192Khz),
> 1-4 on dual speed (96Khz),
> 1-8 on single speed (48Khz)
>
> -Ruslan

Hi Ruslan :)

I only have a ADA8000 at hand, so I only can promise to test single
speed, assumed I should be able to get FreeBSD run on my machine ;).

Thank you for your reply. I contacted RME support, they are willing to
help, but I got no response from the Linux ALSA developers.

I do not know if my card is ok, so if your driver shouldn't do the job,
it also could be, that the card is broken, but I don't think so. On
Linux the mixer does show the audio signal for all ADAT inputs, but it's
impossible to rout the IOs to jack capture and playback ports. In case
of doubt I need to get Windows on my machine or I have to mount the card
to somebody's Windows machine.

OT:
Btw. I didn't know about quad speed devices, I only know that some ADAT
devices can be used with 96KHz too. For professional audio quality
nothing more than 48 KHz is needed, just some less good converters do
sound better at higher sample rates, it's not because a higher sample
rate does provide something, that can't be already provided at 48 KHz.
IMO people shouldn't hunt for higher sample rates, but good converters
and discrete analog IO circuits. YMMV!

Regards,
Ralf