Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:35:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mirrored root fs?

It seems Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
> > For those that are brave enough to play with this I just created the
> > following small change to ata-raid.c. Now it will always rebuild the
> > array on creation, using the first disk as the master image. This
> > allows you to turn any set of ATA disks into a mirror on the fly..
> > Remember to rename you filesystems in fstab before booting :)
>
> Thanks, couple comments:
> * You should be able to use M_WAITOK in your mallocs for all funcs called
> by ioctl since you have a process context

Good point..

> * Shouldn't you only do the rebuild automatically if the raid type is
> AR_F_FREEBSD_RAID?  It's not necessary if it's hw raid, right?

If you create the RAID from within FreeBSD on a running system
it is needed for all controllers. I also need to defer access
through *strategy while doing the setup, and let it loose when
the build is running.

> * Should this be optional so that it's not rebuilt every time you run
> atacontrol create?

Yes, this was a quick fix, I need an extra argument from atacontrol
to flag rebuilding. I'm in the process of refining the RAID ioctl
interface so that I can use it for the SuperTrak (ie intelligent)
controllers as well, we dont need more XXXcontrol programs...

-Søren