Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 07:32:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        techsupport@nordicdms.com
Cc:        wjv@cityip.co.za, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID controller support

In a previous message, Dave Walton said:
> This brings to mind something that's been puzzling me about RAID.
> Whenever someone posts a question here about what RAID controllers
> are supported, the standard answer is "DPT".  Now, by my
> understanding, the way those are set up is something like this:
>
>   You have a bunch of drives in a box.  They are all plugged into the
>   RAID controller.  The RAID controller is plugged into a slot in the
>   computer.  The operating system must specifically support that RAID
>   controller.

This is 'software' RAID

> That arrangement strikes me as rather inflexible and prone to
> compatibility problems.  It seems better to do it this way:
>
>   You have a bunch of drives in a box.  They are all plugged into the
>   RAID controller, which is also mounted in the box.  The RAID
>   controller makes the array appear as a single large SCSI device,
>   and is connected to any standard SCSI controller in the computer.
>   The operating system only needs support for whatever SCSI
>   controller is used.

And this is 'hardware' RAID

> So...  Am I right that this is a better way to do things, or is there
> something important that I am missing?  Does anyone have any
> experience with hardware of that design that they can recommend?

I believe that Clarion is a hardware RAID box. There probably are many
others. It all depends on where you want to control things. The problem
with 'hardware' RAID is you still need to have a controlling program on
your host. The advantage is that it provides the processing off load
from the server.

I guess something like a Network Appliance gets you away from even that.
I've heard a lot of good things about it, but haven't used one myself.

--
"We reproach people for talking about themselves; but it is the subject
 they treat best."    --Anatole France (1844-1924)