Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 00:13:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        se@FreeBSD.ORG (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New timeout capability (was Re: cvs commit:....)

> > > I think that 4K performs pretty darned well anyway though.  In the
> > > real world, I wouldn't think that one would see much of a performance
> > > difference between 4K and 16K.
> >
> > For 8k, there used to be about a 40% improvement over 4k for iozone; I
> > haven't really tried this for about 5 moths now, though.
>
> Hmmm, did you measure accesses to the
> char device, block device, or a file ???

What?  Huh?  File... nothing else makes sense considering it's an FS
blcok size, and the other two aren't FS-based accesses.  8-).

> I'd be very surprised, if your IOZONE
> results were different by 40% for file
> accesses (were clustering helps).

Well, they were.  Like I said, it was about 5 months ago.  I have
the results squirrelled away somewhere, and could find them if I
absolutely had to (it would probably take using my tap drive, though 8-().

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.