Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:13:24 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Concerning Ultra DMA/33 and Chipsets

Greetings!

I've been on the hunt for the perfect motherboard to replace my old P133
FreeBSD machine which is pretty much on it's last leg.

I've been using an Asus P5A for my girlfriend's Photoshop/HTML machine
which uses an ALi Alladin V chipset.  The Asus P5A is a great board with
alot of nice features and utilizes the low cost AMD K6-2 chip, but I heard
that the ALi chipset isn't supported by FreeBSD as far as Ultra DMA/33 is
concerned.  I have heard that the VIA chipsets are supported in respect to
Ultra DMA/33.

First of all, I'd like to know if all the above is correct (that which
concerns FreeBSD and the mentioned chipsets).  Also, I'd like to know if
the SiS chipsets are supported by FreeBSD in respect to Ultra DMA/33.
Which motherboards would you recommend based on chipset?

I'd like to get the best performance out of my DMA/33 hardrives.  I know
SCSI would be a better way to go, but I can't really afford a complete SCSI
subsystem. :(

Thanks for you help!

Joey