Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:04:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The problem is that it isn't always a "YES" that the variable is
> > set to. A test for an empty variable should, however, be made the
>
> Well, yes, but only because our current scheme is braindead. ;-)
>
> > BTW, since our /bin/sh groks functions, why aren't these blocks a
> > function? Something along the lines of:
>
> An interesting idea.  One that could even be taken a little further...
>
> It's time to start talking in diffs.  To follow. :-)

One problem with the use of sh functions is that all functions must be
declared before their use.  See rc.serial for example of how awful this
turns out to be.  The "main" section of rc.serial is the last few lines
in the file.  But what about changing it to something like:

-----------------
#!/bin/sh -
#   $Id: rc.net,v 1.0

. /etc/rc.d/rc.net.functions

set_hostname 		panda.hilink.com.au
tcp_extensions		yes
default_domainname	none
wma			no		# weak mountd authentication
interface 		lo0 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
interface 		ed0 203.8.15.25 255.255.255.248
gateway			yes
defaultrouter		no

...etc, etc....

rc.net.functions of course has all of the relevant functions in it.

By '.'ing rc.net.functions, rc.net stays readable.

Danny