Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:27:30 -0400
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to turn my computer into a TV

user.vdr writes:
>> As long as there remain some NTSC broadcasts, there might be some
>> that you wish to watch. That's why I wrote:
>
> Yes, technically there are still some that exist, for now. However,
> their death certificate is signed and they're so few that it's not
> worth mentioning.

If you don't think NTSC is worth mentioning, why do you keep posting
the same incorrect statements over and over again?

>>> You absolutely do NOT have to reencode a stream
>>
>> I did not say anything about RE-encoding anything. Only about
>> encoding/compressing the high bandwidth datastream the tuner
>> generates from NTSC. And to be clear, this only applies to
>> NTSC, not to ATSC.
>
> NTSC streams are not broadcast raw. What do you call encoding data
> that's already encoded if you don't think it's reencoding? Also, doing
> so causes degredation so unless there's a need for the user to do so,
> he's better off not wasting his time.

NTSC is not a stream of bits. NTSC is analog. The tuner converts
the NTSC analog waveform into a raw stream of bits. This raw
stream of bits is too large to conviently store on disk, so it
needs to be compressed/encoded into mpeg or similar. Some
tuners include a hardware encoder, but many do not.

>>> Tuners do NOT provide raw audio/video to the system in any case.
>>
>> http://corona.homeunix.net/cx88wiki/Overview/RawVideo
>
> While that's technically possible in _some_ cases, and assuming it's
> fully implemented and functional, I'm unaware of any software that
> actually provides raw data to the user. I suppose I should have worded
> my point differently.

The cx88wiki URL above describes the cx88 software (in ports).
For tuners without a hardware encoder, raw video/audio is the only
thing you can get from the tuner when receiving NTSC.