Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 23:43:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, thekind@NETural.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI RAID controller support?

Lo and behold, Terry Lambert once said:
> > I'm surprised that you need RAID for web serving at all. You'd need a
> > VERY high hit rate, or be pumping out large documents to need such
> > access speed.
>
> What?  What makes you think RAID is faster?  It's slower, without
> hardware acceleration (like an NVRAM write cache).  You have to do
> two writes for each write, otherwise...
>
> If he wants addes speed, he should use striping with spindel-sync,
> not RAID.
>
> RAID is for fault tolerance and error recovery.

   That depends entirely on the level of RAID you're using.  You can use
RAID for fault tolerance, -or- for disk striping, or both.

   RAID 0:  Striping, no parity.
            Not true "raid" but often sold as it.
   RAID 1:  Mirroring on two disks - redundancy - same speed
            as a normal drive (in theory. :)  The ECC may slow things down.
   RAID 2:  Hamming ECC - basically for data redundancy
            About as fast as raid 1, perhaps a bit faster.
   RAID 3:  Striping with parity checking
            A bit more reliable than RAID 0, not quite as fast,
            but still considerably faster than a straight disk
   RAID 4:  Parity Checking on a special parity disk.
   RAID 5:  Parity checking with parity distributed across data disks

  Quite obviously, RAID 0 and RAID 3 have the potential to be
considerably faster than an ordinary disk.  I don't know how they compare
to software striping as in the ccd, I don't think anyone's done any
comparisons.:)  I've used some of these in graphic design applications,
and they *really* fly.  A RAID level 0 array like the FWB Jackhammer is a
very pretty piece of equipment, though a tad expensive for most people. :)

  Granted that RAID 0 isn't really "R"aid in the sense that it isn't
redundant, but even RAID 3 is faster than a standalone disk (and has the
advantage of redundancy), and many manufacturers sell striped
non-redundant disk arrays as RAID drives.

     -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)