Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:51:18 -0800
From:      fil_foster <fil_foster@pacbell.net>
To:        Jason Cribbins <freebsd@kibserv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Jason Cribbins wrote:

> I am unable to subscribe to freebsd-security-notifications...but I was able to
> subscribe to about 6 other lists just fine
>
> I send in the request to subscribe...I get back the confirmation email with
> the auth line...which I paste very carefully in another email to be sent
> back....
>
> but then instead of being subscribed I get another majordomo results email
> stating my request was successful but I still need to confirm and my email
> address is incorrect.
> ----------
>
> Basically I send this:
>
> subscribe freebsd-security-notifications
> ----------
>
> I get this
>
> commands (exactly as shown) back to "Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG":
>
>         auth 2cd8eff3 subscribe freebsd-security-notifications
> freebsd@kibserv.org
>
> If you do not want this action to be taken, simply ignore this message
> and the request will be disregarded.
> ----------
>
> Then I reply with this:
> auth 2cd8eff3 subscribe freebsd-security-notifications freebsd@kibserv.or=
> ----------
>
> And I get this:
> freebsd@kibserv.or=
> **** Your request to Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG:
> ****
> ****    subscribe freebsd-security-notifications freebsd@kibserv.or=
> ****
> **** must be authenticated.  To accomplish this, another request must be
> **** sent in with an authorization key, which has been sent to:
> ****    freebsd@kibserv.or=

Check at the bottom of the email with the subject
"Majordomo results: unsubscribe freebsd-security-notifications"
that is returned when you send the authentication code.
You should find the following:
****
**** Thanks!
****
**** Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG
Succeeded.

I don't know why it sends the next "Confirmation for unsubscribe
freebsd-security-notifications" email, but if "Majordomo results:"
show succeeded you have already unsubscribed from the list and just
need to ignore the "Confirmation for unsubscribe" email that
follows.

Phil Foster