Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:01:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au (Andrew Perry)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP/PAP authentication

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Martin Naskovski wrote:
 > Hi. I can't get PAP to work on ppp under FreeBSD 2.1.7. I set up the login
 > name right, the password too, including the enable pap, disable chap,
 > accept pap parameters, and then all I get once it successfully logs in is
 > a "Packet mode" response, the ppp doesn't convert to PPP to signify that
 > it did actually went into PPP, and when I try to ping, it shows as though
 > no routes exist for the outside world.

In general, you only ever want *one* of "enable pap" and "accept pap";
one means "OK, I'll do PAP if the other side wants it" and the other
means "I'm going to require him to PAP authenticate with me."  Your
ISP isn't going to authenticate with you.  Search the archives for
my responses in January and February, I posted a tutorial on IIJPPP
twice in the last two months.  If you find the right posting, it tells
you how to start PPP at system boot, setup auto-dial with routing, and
everything else.