Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:45:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Greg Prosser <greg@snickers.org>, freebsd <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SYN Hardening patches? / SYN Code in 3.4-RC

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Doug White wrote:

!>
!>Because it doesn't make sense to separate it out?  maxusers is a good
!>general sizing knob; it should size everything that's related to server
!>capacity.  You should override the maxuser-based calculations IFF you know
!>the calculated number isn't enough, even at maxusers 128.
!>
!>We have hard-core MDAs that get a 'options NMBCLUSTERS=16384' and
!>'maxusers 128' based on real-world statistics.  These machines routinely
!>peak out at 10K mbuf clusters and 22MBytes of network memory.  With the
!>default settings they wouldn't last 10 minutes.
!>
!>And even with 16K mbufs they still die when large parts of the Net go
!>away.
!>
!>Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
!>dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org
!>

	Well, it appears I missed a TUNABLE_INT_DECL which twiddles with
  nmbufs as opposed to MAXUSERS, when NMBCLUSTERS is defined. My mistake!
  Thanks to all who pointed it out.

  Bosko.

--
  Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>