Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:49:02 -0600
From:      "Mike Roest" <bsd-lists@blahz.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: natd redirect_port only works from the outside

The problem with that is if you assign a pair of records like this:

www	IN	A	63.105.29.28
www	IN	A	192.168.0.10

There is a 50/50 chance (give or take) that an external host will do a dns
lookup and grab the internal 192.168.0.10 IP.  There are 2 way's around
this.

1) Run a internal only DNS server that all hosts behind the gateway use to
lookup local services.
2) run 2 bind processes on the gateway box.  One process bound to the
external IP nic and one bound to the internal IP NIC. This is accomplished
through the listen-on directive in bind 9 found on page 54 of the bind 9
reference manual.  Then assign in your whois record the external box as the
primary DNS server for the zone.

In both situations you will have to assign all the internal boxes to use the
Internal only DNS server as their main DNS. So most likely the internal DNS
would need to be a caching server as well.

Hope this helps

--Mike