Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:38:04 -0700
From:      "Tozaki, Kenji" <kenji.tozaki@intel.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Question regards to FreeBSD

To whom it may concerns,

I purchased FreeBSD w/ CDs.  As reading throught "The Complete FreeBSD" by
Greg Lehey, I have several specific questions.  Is this correct place for
this?  Please let me know.

The specific questions as follows:

Q1:  When I install devices, do I need to specify the devices in the kernel,
which is listed in the book, p322~330? When I boot FreeBSD, looks like it is
probing the devices...

Q2:  Typically, to protect the computers from the intrusion, people purchase
a firewall programs (In Microsoft world).  In the "Configuring the kernel",
IPFIREWALL, looks like this is done at kernel level?  Do I need to purchase
a third party firewall program if I use FreeBSD as a gateway to the Internet
(I'm not sure the gateway is the correct term to use.)?

Thx.

Kenji

P.S.  Yes, I'm Intel employee. Due to protecting Intel intellectual
properties, please refrain from asking Intel questions.  Thanks.