Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 2003 07:38:00 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        David Lodeiro <dlodeiro@inspired.net.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 driver

> Ive got a Dlink DWL-G520 that Ive installed into a Freebsd system. Ive
> set up  the card with the following
> ifconfig_ath0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid daves channel 10
> media  DS11 mediaopt hostap"
>
> This system was cvsuped and buildworld about 3 days ago. The card appears
> to  be working because when I try to connect with my PDA it shows full
> Link and  quality, and when I ifconfig ath0 down , the link and quality
> go down to  nothing.
>
> However it doesn't give out dhcp addresses over this interface. Im sure
my
> dhcpd.conf is fine because I've used a similar one on a laptop => aka
> wireless access point that worked very well. So I tried to use dstumbler
> to  see if it could detect the PDA, however it gives me the following
> error
>
>  error: unable to ioctl device socket: Operation now in progress
>
> and it stays that way.
>
> Has anyone had this issue as well or now what it means?

Verify you have the latest HAL using

sysctl hw.ath

The version should be 0.9.5.3 or better (can't remember if I committed .4
or .3).  If you have an old version update.  Otherwise you might try
tapping 802.11 frames with tcpdump on the AP to see what's going on:

tcpdump -i ath0 -y IEEE802_11

As to dstumbler, it is intimately tied to the wi driver at the moment.  I
have a version that works w/ wi and ath drivers but it's a major rewrite
and incomplete.  If someone wants to pick it up I'd be happy to pass the
(incomplete) work on...

	Sam