Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 07:53:22 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing diff's default output format

On 1999-Dec-30 02:11:25 +1100, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:
>From a POSIX.2 draft:
>
>P2> file2. This list should be minimal.  No output shall be produced if the

I would read this as `the list of differences should be minimal', not
`the output size should be minimal'.  If you want to minimize output
size, I think 'diff -e' will normally be shorter than plain diff :-)
(because deleted lines turn into a single `d', rather than a repeat
of the deleted line).

Peter