Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:26:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        mgrommet@insolwwb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT Advisory CA-98-13

mike grommet wrote:

> Trying to patch a FreeBSD 3.0 - Release from 10/27
>
> but, the patch given in the CERT advisory looks very very strange...
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/CA-98-13/patch
>
> heck this stuff doesnt even look like valid C code at all
>  if ((m =3D m_pullup(m, sizeof (struct ip))) =3D=3D 0)
>
> I thought it might be a funky browswer problem, so I used lynx to grab the
> patch, and ended
> up with the same text...

It's quoted-printable text. Non-printing chars are represented by ``=''
followed by their ASCII code. I see it quite a lot in Netscape where the
text includes the UK currency symbol, which appears as ``=A3''.

As ``='' has a special meaning any ``='' in the text gets represented as
``=3D'', 0x3D is the ASCII value of ``=''.

Netscape seems to have a problem with quoted-printable encoding.

> Could someone please post a valid patch?
>
> Mike Grommet
> Unix Systems Adminstrator
> Internet Solutions, Inc.
> mgrommet@insolwwb.net

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com