Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 19:23:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, kleon@bellsouth.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> Sorry - handbook.ascii is already generated.  I was being
> stupid.  I can appreciate that some people have problems with
> latin - DOS/Win stuff won't grok the ^Hs.  I just didn't realize
> that .ascii is already there - despite being in that code only
> a few weeks ago.

Well, I'll try this once more.

I think what's happening is that whatever generates handbook.ascii
is broken.  It is indeed generated; it's put on the server; it gets
downloaded, and this is the result:

                               FFrreeeeBBSSDD HHaannddbbooookk

                       The FreeBSD Documentation Project

                                   May 1997

                                   AAbbssttrraacctt

     Welcome to FreeBSD!  This handbook covers the installation and day to
     day use of FFrreeeeBBSSDD RReelleeaassee 22..22..22. This manual is a wwoo
rrkk iinn pprrooggrreessss
[...]
     also be downloaded in plain text, postscript or HTML from the FreeBSD
     FTP server2  or one of the numerous _m_i_r_r_o_r _s_i_t_e_s (section 23.2,

The various suggestions to repair this text, such as piping it through
col -b, running little sed scripts, and so forth are inappropriate from
the point of view that this document (and the FAQ, which has the same
problems) are supposed to be useful to people running dos/Windows as well
as people who may not yet be familiar with various unix utilities.

But these suggestions also seem to be in error, because the downloaded
handbook.ascii doesn't have any ^H codes or any other codes in it; it's
what I would call hard-coded just as it appears above.  Doing
substitutions for ^H or running it though col -b have no effect on it
whatsoever.

Thus, the code that generates handbook.ascii is broken, right?

Annelise