Date:      Wed, 1 May 2019 10:09:27 +0200
From:      Markus Wipp <mw@wipp.bayern>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        Markus Wipp <m.wipp@bluebird-ag.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Issues starting unbound on boot

> On 1. May 2019, at 00:02, Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On 2019-Apr-30 19:44:36 +0000, Markus Wipp <m.wipp@BlueBird-AG.com> wrote=
:
>> I currently face an issue, where I don=E2=80=99t know further on why this=
 happens and what I could do about it.
>> I hope that this is the correct list to ask my question. If not please le=
t me know where else I might try my luck.
>> I installed unbound from ports, configured it and can start / stop it fro=
m command line with service unbound start without any problems.
>> But whenever I reboot the machine it just doesn=E2=80=99t get started. Th=
e only information I was able to find out so far can be found in /var/log/me=
ssages:
>> root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start unbound
>=20
> I have seen unbound fail to start for a variety of reasons but in all case=
s, it has
> written a useful hint to the console.  Can you confirm that it's not writi=
ng anything
> to your console.  Are you able to share your configuration?
>=20
> --=20
> Peter Jeremy
Hi Peter,

many thanks to you! By looking at the console output I was able to determine=
 that the interface/up I bound unbound to was not yet available during the b=
oot process (it was tun0 for my VPN). After finding this cause it was just a=
 matter of ensuring tun0 gets created and configured as cloned interface.
So now everything works as it should!

Thanks again to all!

Have a nice day!
Markus=20=