Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:30:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Cawood <cawood@unixg.ubc.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copying from dos

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Stephen Cawood wrote:

> The error message is:
>
> mode-0120025, inum=791, fs=/
> panic=ffs_valloc: dup alloc
> synching disks...14 14 2 done
> Automatic reboot on 15 seconds
>
> And then when I try to boot it says:
>
> Error: c:158870 > 1023 (Bios Limit)

A couple of things appear to be happening:

1.  You used FIPS on your DOS partition to shrink it down to make room for
FreeBSD, but you shrank it so that a change in clustersize was necessary,
but FIPS doesn't do this.  Thus, FreeBSD gets confused.  This is seen if
on the ALT-F2 debug console, you see

root is not a multiple of clustersize in length

or something like that.  My experience has been that this is very
dangerous and will probably lead to a failed DOS install and/or possible
DOS corruption.

2.  You need to repartition your disk so that the FreeBSD partition is
below cylinder 1024.  the BIOS can't boot anything above this line, so try
to get the FreeBSD root partition below there.

> The files that I am trying to copy over are the new version of XF86Free
> which I need to use my particular Mach64.

Apparently you can't access your DOS partiton without damaging it, so try
to find a different way of getting the server over to FreeBSD.  Floppies
work OK, or perhaps it's time to get ppp working :)

Hope this helps.