Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 06:18:01 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x11/nvidia-{driver, settings, xconfig}: why not the latest available version (290.10)?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:44:04 +0800
darcsis@gmail.com (Denise H. G.) wrote:

> On 2011/12/24 at 08:41, "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Just wondering why the x11/nvidia-{driver,settings,xconfig} ports
> > have yet to be updated to the latest version (290.10).  Are there
> > any known issues with any of these newer versions that would make
> > such an upgrade ill-advised?
> >
> > FWIW, I've been running nvidia-driver version 290.10 since shortly
> > after it was made available on the Nvidia site, and haven't run
> > across any issues that can be directly attributed to the driver, at
> > least, not to the best of my knowledge.
>
> 290.10 has some issues on text redrawing as far I experience. I have
> also been running 290.10 for quite a while. Some apps, especially
> emacs and gnome-terminal will fail redrawing text areas while, e.g.
> scrolling. And x11 cursor cannot sometimes be displayed correctly.
>
> When I downgrade to 285.09.05, things seem to be OK.

Hmm.  I do see the occasional redraw error, but since I'm constantly
fiddling with the latest bleeding-edge versions of things, including
nearly all of the Xorg-related packages (many parts of which I have
installed even later versions than those in the "official" FreeBSD
xorg-dev project), as well as much of the area51 KDE, *and* FreeBSD
10-CURRENT, I couldn't say for sure whether these were entirely the
fault of the nvidia driver or maybe the product of a combination of
things.

I may just back off to the earlier version and see what sort of a
difference it makes.

Thanks for the feedback.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier