Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:13:11 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Arvind Nahata <arvindnahata@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JRE for FreeBSD 5.4, Monitoring FreeBSD

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:16:29AM -0700, Arvind Nahata wrote:
> I am looking at developing system level monitors such
> as System CPU, Memory, FileSystem, Disk, TCP, Process
> etc for FreeBSD 5.4 using Java and JNI, if needed.
>
> I have a couple of queries regarding this:
> 1. Is it possible to monitor FreeBSD 5.4 using Java +
> JNI?

I don't see any reason why you can't do this.  In my day job we do this for
Linux, and there is no reason it couldn't be done for FreeBSD (albeit using
a different strategy).

> 2. Is there a reliable JRE available for FreeBSD 5.4?

Yes, try one of the jdk* ports.  I'd suggest jdk14 or jdk15.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org