Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:55:19 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   When was the last ports tree that worked with RELENG_6?

I have an old 6.4-R machine which I can take as far as RELENG_6, but no
further due to a hardware-support issue (special hardware, third party
driver).  The hardware needs to live a while yet, so I'd like to try to
get the installed ports as up to date as possible.  The current ports
tree doesn't work on 6.x, so I need to find the last version of the
ports tree that does work.

The ports tree on the box is *newer* than the one tagged RELEASE_6_EOL,
so it's not that simple.  The current tree was pulled 2012-Feb-21 10:38
UTC and I know it works.  It looks like the RELEASE_8_3_0 tree
(2012-March-7) also works based on some very basic testing.

Does anyone when the ports tree broke for 6.x?  Alternately, if someone
knows what it was that (first) broke the tree for 6.x, I can easily hunt
down commits and find a predated tree that works.  Was it the optionsNG
stuff?