Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:06:18 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Saturday 16 November 2002 10:20 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> [...cvsups from time to time to pick up critical bug fixes and push
> them out to heavily-loaded production machines...]
>
> Just before 4.7-RELEASE was tag'd and put out, Matt Dillon spent many
> hours debugging a crash I was having on venus in the VM sub-system
> ... since RELEASE was so close, he didn't put it in until afterwards,
> so, of course, its only available in -STABLE ... this weekend, I
> downgraded venus/jupiter to RELENG_4_7, so now have lost that fix
> until 4.8 is released ...
>
> What happens when RELENG_4_7 crashes?  I cvsup'd RELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE
> (or whatever its tag is) and then upgraded to RELENG_4_7, just to see
> what changes are in since 4.7 *was* released ... here is it:
>
> [...snip...]
>
> Basically, nothing ... how many fixes are in -STABLE for bugs in the
> kernel that aren't "commonly triggered", but are like little time
> bombs that could be avoided?
>
> But, back to my question "What happens when RELENG_4_7 crashes?" ...
> in the past, before I did anything else, I'd upgrade to -STABLE,
> figuring it might be something that someone else caught and was fixed
> ... but, looking at the above changes in RELENG_4_7, it seems that
> reporting the crash is more or less useless ... if its already fixed
> in -STABLE, is someone going to MFC it down to RELENG_4_7?
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> [...snip...]

    There was a fellow who was doing exactly that for releases that he
had in production.  Because they didn't meet the criteria for MFC'ing
officially, he maintained his own set of patches, and made them
publicly available.

    I don't know if he's made it up to 4.7.

    One possible solution for you is to keep a local CVS repository,
and update that every night.  Checkout a RELENG_4_7 tree via cvs
checkout.  When a commit occurs that MFCs a fix to a critical problem,
merge it into your checked-out RELENG_4_7 source tree using
cvs up -jold -jnew, where "old" is the revision on the RELENG_4 branch
prior to the MFC, and "new" is the revision created by the MFC.

    Yes, that can be some work, especially if the MFC touches a lot of
files, but if you are on cvs-all, you'll see the list of files, and
you can grab them and create a script to do the cvs commands to each
file.  /usr/ports/devel/cvsps (a tool for generating patchsets) may be
of help.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant