Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:31:56 -0500
From:      Jeremy Kister <freebsd-01@jeremykister.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: traffic analysis

On 2/21/2006 5:10 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> Our freeBSD 6.0 host is not yet in production, but appears to have outgoing
> traffic of around 140Mb/day; the http logs say 16 hits etc. The host provider
> said this

140Mb/day is really not that much.

Unless my math is wrong because it's past bed time:
140Mb/day divided by 86400 seconds per day = 0.001 Mb/second (average)
0.001 Mb/second = 1.659 Kb/second

this means a dialup modem could handle your average traffic.

and remember Mb is Megabits, not MegaBytes.

> "The server is on a /20-network, and this leads to high amounts of
> background traffic (ARP, broadcast, etc.). These traffic types are
> likely to be the reason for most of your outbound traffic."

Is your server's netmask 255.255.240.0 ???  If it is, call your
provider, laugh at them, and then call a new provider.  If your netmask
is not 255.255.240.0, call the person who gave you that line, laugh at
them, and try to find someone more intelligent :)

You're surely not on a subnet with 4000 hosts.

> I'm not sure I follow this argument. Does this mean I'm responding to large
> number of spurious requests? The provider's analysis of the input volume is
> pretty small (0Mb).

If you were on a network with 4000 other machines, it could certainly
cause problems.  But i'd bet that someone is just confused -- i'd bet
that their entire network space is a /20, and they have allocated a
small part of it for your network.

> Is there a tool that can give me some reasonable data on this sort of problem?
> Perhaps I need to close down some services etc.

I doubt it, but you can try tcpdump.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./