Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:04:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: roll-in installation?

On Mon, 23 February 1998 at 14:14:48 -0800, Greg Shenaut wrote:
> Is there a mechanism already in place which would allow a hands-off
> roll-in installation from SCSI tape of a FreeBSD distribution onto
> a virgin machine?  What I have in mind would be auto-generating a
> tape image of the model system using some combination of dump, tar,
> and dd, along with parameter blocks containing information for
> fdisk/mkfs/format.  Then you boot to a floppy containing code which
> can deal with the tape; it rolls it in, and, presto changeo, you've
> got a complete, bootable, system only needing its rc.conf file
> edited in order to run.  (Assuming the model has the same hardware
> as the target, of course.)
>
> Has anyone done this?

What I've done is to make one installation, copy a disk image to tape,
and then restore it to other disks, thus creating a complete clone of
the first machine.  This sounds like it would fit your bill.

The problem was, I did it under BSD/OS, and I ran into trouble when I
tried it on FreeBSD a couple of years ago.  I don't know whether it's
since possible, but there are some problems related to writing to a
raw disk.  You could try it.  To back up a complete disk to tape,

  # dd if=/dev/rsd0c of=/dev/rst0 bs=32b

To restore:

  # dd of=/dev/rsd0c if=/dev/rst0 bs=32b

If it doesn't work, please tell me and I'll try to work out why not.

Greg