Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:31:53 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
Cc:        Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in kernel w/pppoe & ipf ?

Rob Zietlow wrote:

> Ahh yes, I knew I forgot something, Thank you Jim. yes My rulest was both
> the original that worked before the DSL pppoe wackiness. I also had the
> same routing issues when my /etc/ipf.rules said:
>
> pass in all
> pass out all
>
> I still received the "no route to host" message.  I also added into my
> rc.conf "ipfilter_rules="etc/ipf.rules"  "  as the rc.conf in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf had listed in it.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but....

I use IPFW so this may not be the same as ipf, it may also not exist any
more for IPFW either.  But I have 1 machine connected vie a cable modem
and dhclient.  I have another machine connected via DSL and PPPoE and
dhclient.  Both of these machines had to, might not be true any more but
one is in a different country and don't want to mess with it, configure
the kernel to IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT to ensure the dhclient could
connect on boot.  After that I load a more restrictive firewall.  But my
basic problem was that during boot, dhclient was being run before the
firewall rules were being loaded.  Again, I don't know if this is still
the case.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .