Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 23:09:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pete McNab <stillers@slip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP connect/routing help

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Pete McNab wrote:

> So, the problem currently: I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0 with a Cyrix
> 6x86-166 motherboard.  Before, I was able to connect via PPP, but
> didn't have my routing right.  Now, the routing looks happy, but my
> PPP connection is not coming up, even though my dialin script is
> good.  Any help would be appreciated, as I have been trying to
> fix this myself for about a week.  I have read the handbook, and looked
> for resources.  (As an aside...anyone know where in the SF bay area
> I can buy the Complete FreeBSD book?)

You can order it from Walnut Creek CDROM -- shouldn't take too long to get
to you since it's near there.

> The tun0 device has been configured correctly.  I have rebuilt the
> kernel, but only to uncomment the ATAPI and comment the nonexistant
> items.  If I start ppp by doing 'ppp -auto slip' it will try to
> dial out when I attempt to ping an external system.
>
> When I connect manually, I get dial OK! and login OK! but the
> ppp prompt never changes to PPP, and after a minute or so it
> hangs up.
>
> My ISP's gateway is 204.160.88.1, and I am assigned a dynamix IP in the
> range 206.14.x.x.  The DNS servers are at 204.160.88.10 and .11.
> Here are my files:

Ask you ISP if they require PAP or CHAP authentication.  If they do, copy
the relevant bits from the papsite / chapsite profiles into your slip
profile.

> And relevant portions from /etc/sysconfig:
>
> hostname="steelhead.slip.net"
> network_interfaces="tun0 lo0"
> ifconfig_tun0="inet 0 204.160.88.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

NO! NO! NO!  Do not configure tun0, ppp will do it for you!