Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 15:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Mind's I" <dsylikm@hotmail.com>
Cc:        vetex@WWW.TIMANDPATRICK.COM, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Card Config

I wrote a how-to on getting pccards working that explains this.
It's on my web server at andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/
(there's a link to the file).

But here's a copy of it.

                         Getting Your PC Card to Work

     * 1. There are two manual pages on PC cards, pccardd and
       pccard.conf. There is no manual page for pccardc, but typing the
       command alone will give you a list of available options, and the
       command plus an option will show you the syntax.
       Another resource is the PAO page at
       http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO. This page lists a great many cards
       that people have used successfully. Many of the PAO features
       described there have been incorporated into FreeBSD, but not
       necessarily exactly as described there and not all listed drivers
       are included in FreeBSD.
     * 2. The basic tasks are to have drivers in the kernel for the
       cards you want to use and for the pccard device and slots, to
       enable card support on startup, and to have an accurate
       description of the card in the /etc/pccard.conf database. The
       following steps should get you to this point.
     * 2.1 Recompile your kernel, commenting out the zp and ze drivers
       by placing a # in front of these lines and including the three
       general lines for pccard support, one for the controller itself
       and two for the card slots. These can be found in the LINT
       kernel. They currently look like this:
       controller card0
       device pcic0 at card?
       device pcic1 at card?
       You will also want to include the driver for the card in the
       kernel configuration file. The drivers for modems (sio0 and sio1)
       will already be there; you may want to add sio2 and sio3. You
       will need to select an ethernet driver, or make sure it is
       included, by reading the information on the box your card came
       in. For example, an NE2000 compatible card uses the ed0 driver.
     * 2.2 Edit rc.conf, so that pccard_enable="YES". If you are
       installing an ethernet card, you will also want to include the
       driver as one of the network interfaces in rc.conf.
     * 2.3 Move or copy /etc/pccard.conf.sample to /etc/pccard.conf.
       This is the data base of pccards to which the card will be
       matched when it is inserted. If there is a card with a
       manufacturer and name that matches your card, that will be the
       entry to work with. Otherwise you will have to create one.
     * 2.4 Reboot the computer without the card in the slot and check to
       ensure that the ze and zp drivers are not mentioned and that the
       controller for the pccard is identified and given an IRQ. The two
       card slots will also appear.
       It will look something like this, if you've included the ed0
       driver:
       ed0 not found at 0x280
       PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD672X (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
       pcic: controller irq 5
       Initializing PC-card drivers: ed sio
     * 2.5 Insert the card in the slot and run pccardc dumpcis. This
       will produce an output of information from the card itself in the
       form of tuples. You may want to print this information out or
       save it to a file for future reference. Here are a few lines from
       an ethernet card that isn't included in the data base but is
       NE2000 compatible (according to box) and thus uses the ed0
       driver:
       Configuration data for card in slot 0
       Tuple #6, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 38
           Version = 4.1, Manuf = [D-Link],card vers = [DE-660]
       Tuple #8, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
           Config index = 0x20(default)
           Interface byte = 0x81 (I/O) wait signal supported
       2 slots found
       Sometimes several alternatives may be available for the
       configuration index. From this information and examples already
       in the pccard.conf file, we can construct a card entry to be
       included in pccard.conf:
       #D-LINK Ethernet PC Card DE-660
       card "D-Link" "DE-660"
           config 0x20 "ed0" 10
           ether 0x81
           insert echo D-Link 660 Ethernet inserted
           insert /etc/pccard_ether ed0
           remove echo D-Link 660 Ethernet removed
           remove /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete
       Save the card entry information to pccard.conf.
     * 2.6 Reboot without the card in the slot. If everything is right,
       you should get a message on the console when the card is inserted
       showing (for an ethernet card) its address as well as the "echo"
       text. If there are errors during boot about incorrect
       configuration or inability to assign resources to the card, the
       card entry is not correct and you will need to experiment. The
       beginning of /etc/pccard.conf shows some resources being made
       available; you may need to edit these. The /etc/pccard.conf file
       is read when a card is inserted or removed, so that you do not
       need to reboot to test your changes.
     * 2.7 If the card is correctly identified, you have a working card.
       You can use ed0 (in this example) as you normally would, writing
       ifconfig statements at the command line.
       At this point you can choose to have the network configuration
       take place when the card is inserted. You will notice in the
       above that on insertion two commands are run, echo and
       /etc/pccard_ether ed0. The second calls the pccard_ether script
       in /etc, which uses information from the pccard_ifconfig line in
       /etc/rc.conf and other routing information provided in rc.conf.
       When the card is removed, the ed0 interface is deleted. Note that
       one of the options for the configuration of pccard_ifconfig is
       "DHCP".
       Alternatively you may wish to boot with the card in the slot and
       have the network come up on boot. It may work just as well in
       that case to have the information in an ordinary ifconfig
       statement in rc.conf (and include ed0 in the list of interfaces)
       and leave pccard_ifconfig blank.
     * 3.0 This how-to is not intended to address every difficulty, but
       it should give you an overview of how the process works so that
       you can experiment yourself. Let me know if it works or if I've
       left out any information you find important.

   Annelise Anderson
   andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
   Wed Jan 27 1999
   Thu Feb 11 1999