Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:07:38 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        tseidmann@simultan.ch (Thomas Seidmann)
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX Routing

#define quoting(Thomas Seidmann)
// Kris Kirby wrote:
// >
// > Thomas Seidmann wrote:
// > > addresses. Next, take a look at IPXrouted(8). Beware: the FreeBSD
// > > networking code supports only ETHERNET_II frames. I've hacked
// >
// > This is interesting. The Beame and Whiteside TCP/IP stack for DOS also
// > only works with Ethernet_II frames. It sends the TCP/IP through an ODI.
//
// TCP/IP over Ethernet packets are _always_ carried over ETHERNET_II
// frames (aka blue book Ethernet). IPX packets, on the contrary, are
// carried over Ethernet in up to three kinds of frames: ETHERNET_II, 802.3
// an so called 802.2. This is some kind of confusion Novell created. Note

Ethernet_snap also.

// that the different frame types don't exhibit any contriburtion to
// fuctionality nor performance. Blue book Ethernet frames would have
// sufficed.

IIRC, IPX over 802.3 does not support checksum.

I use ethernet_ii on every IPX network, even if it does not need IP.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro