Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 2006 02:04:30 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Default browser

Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
[...]

> It guess I should have been more specific. I am using Window Maker as window
> manager. I know that KDE has the Component Chooser and Gnome has its
> gnome-control-center/preferred applications, but I have not found a window
> maker equivalent. Frankly, I do not know if there is such a thing.
>
> Both KDE and Gnome have been told that I'd like to use linux-opera. Still, when
> I click a link in bpm (bsd ports collection manager port), this event seems to
> disappear in the eternal bit bucket and nothing happens. When I click a link in
> a gaim chat window, mozilla gets launched. Openoffice.org insists upon firefox.
>
> Why is this so messy?

::shrug:: it is what it is. Even in Windows XP, where you have a central
 database (the registry) which all programs *should* consult before
invoking a browser (or they should use the proper api calls which use
the registry), you have so many programs that will simply launch IE
instead of, say, Firefox (obviously, MS apps are usually the culprit
here ;-) )

> How do I change it?

- I think openoffice has some settings to change this.

This is how i'd do it:  take  note of the the binaries being called for
the unwanted browswers. Uninstall (or mv [oldbrowser] [oldbrowser].orig
) the browsers you don't want, then simply write wrappers that replace
[oldbrowser] for linux-opera. Or , if the calling parameters are the
same, just symlink them :)

HIH,
Beto