Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:37:58 +0200
From:      Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Marat N.Afanasyev" <amarat@ksu.ru>, Michael Sperber <sperber@deinprogramm.de>
Subject:   Re: How to predict drive number change for 7.3->8.1 upgrade?

Dnia pi=B1tek 17 wrzesie=F1 2010 o 16:35:52 Michael Sperber napisa=B3(a):
> "Marat N.Afanasyev" <amarat@ksu.ru> writes:
> > you may try the following commands:
> >=20
> > sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=3D16
> >=20
> > foreach fs (your-filesystems)
> > glabel label your-$fs-label your-$fs-device
> > end
> >=20
> > echo geom_label_load=3D"YES" >> /boot/loader.conf
> > reboot
> >=20
> > and see if the labels appear in /dev/label
>=20
> Is this safe to do?  The man page for glabel seems to imply that glabel
> should be used before newfs, and tunefs after newfs.
It's because geom class uses the last sector of the provider to keep his=20
metadata, so if you will overwrite this sector then you lose this metadata(=
in=20
this case label). So to not lose this metadata you should use geom_label fi=
rst=20
and then newfs on the /dev/label/...
I think that using ufs label should be sufficient, glabel supports them too=
=20
(under /dev/ufs directory).

Maciek