Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:15:49 -0400
From:      "Lee Gold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        "Adam Weinberger" <adam@vectors.cx>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unix locate cmd

> >> (10.01.2002 @ 0418 PST): Lee Gold said, in 0.5K: <<
> > I'm trying to use the  locate  cmd to find all
> > instances of .xinitrc in my system. I did,....

..snip..

> when you run the program, you're leaving out the 'n' in locate.updatedb,
> right?

that's an email typo.

...snip...

> so you can't locate anything at all? so, for example, "locate termcap"
> gives no output? what's the filesize of your /var/db/locate.database?

the db is about 420kb
sorry, it works perfectly $locate temp or $locate X11
give big lists. I think I'm getting stuck on the dot beginning
the string  .xinitrc - I must not be handling that leading "."
correctly w/locate. The output of $locate .xinitrc  is nothing
just a new prompt. What would be the reason?

Thanks for this help,
Lee