Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:36:57 +0400 (MSD)
From:      bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev)
To:        bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, tlambert@primenet.com, eivind@yes.no, sepotvin@videotron.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> on nfs client we have:
>
> {nfs_clnt1}# mount
> /dev/sd0s1a on / (local, noatime, writes: sync 6436172 async 3495235))
> procfs on /proc (local)
> nfs_srv:/mnt/roots on /mnt/roots
> {nfs_clnt1}# ls -al /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  weel    2,   2  3 jun 14:27 /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
> 				    ^^^^^^^^^^^ time from nfs_srv
> {nfs_clnt1}# chroot /mnt/roots/VM1 /bin/cat /etc/passwd > /dev/null

sorry, correct demonstration is:

{nfs_clnt1}# ls -al /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,   2  3 jun 14:27 /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
{nfs_clnt1}# chroot /mnt/roots/VM1 /bin/sh
# /bin/cat /etc/passwd > /dev/null
# exit
{nfs_clnt1}# ls -al /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,   2  3 jun 14:28 /mnt/roots/VM1/dev/null
				     ^^^^^^^^^^^  time changed
{nfs_clnt1}# ls -al /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,   2  3 jun 14:28 /dev/null
				     ^^^^^^^^^^^  time changed
{nfs_clnt1}#