Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:54:04 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>,  Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: python 2 and 3 modules

On 29/07/2013 5:46 PM, David Demelier wrote:
> 2013/7/28 Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>:
>> Hi,
>> I need to be able to have both (2.7 and 3.2) modules.
>> setting PYTHON_VERSION=3.2 in /etc/make.conf compiles properly,
>> but make install, insists that that the 2.7 version is installed!
>> after deinstalling, it will install the 3.2 version in the correct directory:
>>          /usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-path
>> but now I lost the 2.7 version.
>>
>> the same happens if I try to install the 2.7 version, it will complain
>> that the 3,2 version is installed.
>>
>> BTW, the comments in ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk are very confusing and
>> some are wrong:
>> # PYTHON_VERSION        - Version of the python binary in your ${PATH}, in the
>> #                                         format "python2.0". Set this in your
>> makefile in case you
>> #                                         want to build extensions with an
>> older binary.
>> #                                         default: depends on the version of
>> your python binary
>>
>> setting it to "python3.2" produces errors in the make, while 3.2 is ok
>>
>> is there any fix?
>>
>> thanks,
>>          danny
>>

> For the moment its pretty difficult to install python 2.7 and 3.3 at
> the same time. However, if you plan to install python 3.3, you need to
> set PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION to "python3.3" and not PYTHON_VERSION.
>
> Cheers,

David,

python@ would love to get a better idea (ideally a list) of where and
what the choke-points & hurdles users are coming across trying to
achieving this.

Id be happy to document these in the wiki as we start looking forward to
best-practice FreeBSD/Python packaging for when the
setuptools/distribute merge commotion settles down

The FreeBSD Python team can be found on FreeNode IRC (#freebsd-python)
if anyone wants to get the ball rolling.

koobs