Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:02:50 -0500
From:      "J. Maynard Gelinas" <mgelinas@bbn.com>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems writing a disklabel/filesystems to Chaparral RAID

  [reply below]

> on 11/30/1999 9:42 AM, mgelinas@bbn.com wrote:
> > continue getting support for the hardware. This just seems crazy... it's a
> > SCSI disk as far the the OS is concerned, it just shouldn't matter what OS I
> > use. The only possible issue I can see is if the disk array has more cyls,
> > heads, sects than is supported by FreeBSD or Solaris/x86, but I can't imagine
> > that
>
> First  off,  let me say that's a sexy piece of hardware you have there
> however  I'm  not  familiar with it but it's very possible that it's a
> specialized  piece  of  hardware  in  the sense it's built for Windows
> platforms  only.  I've seen hardware in my many travels that "refuses"
> to  work  properly  under any OS except Windows. Have you tried direct
> connecting  the  drives  themselves  on  a regular SCSI controller and
> seeing if FreeBSD can deal with them?

   The RAID takes a straight SCSI U2W differential interface; it should be OS
agnostic.  As I wrote, the drives are also SCSI -- and I'm sure they work
fine individually.

> As  far  as  the  vendor claiming it needs to be on ID 0, to me that's
> absolute  nonsense.  It may turn out that the vendor is trying to take
> you  for  a  ride  and simply doesn't want to support anything outside
> their  meager  field of expertise. Perhaps you're better off replacing
> the RAID unit itself and keep the drives.

   The vendor didn't claim it should be set it ID 0, he claimed it should be
set to LUN 1 and *NOT* LUN 0, which is altogether a different issue. Currently
the RAID is set to ID 1, LUN 0... though I tested it at LUN 1 (for shits and
grins), configured and built a FreeBSD kernel to support this, and experienced
the same problem. IMNSHO SAG (our vendor) is full of it.

> Not alot of help, but it's a start.

   Thanks anyway! :-)

--Maynard