Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:59:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with PCMCIA Cards

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
> Oops.  Missed this part.  The problem again is that the kernel doesn't
> know about this.  At least it knows it only to a point.  It knows
> which IRQs are in use, but it doesn't know if the pcic (or cardbus
> bridge in compat mode) can route to a given free irq.

Ok, I'm obviously missing something here...  You mean the IRQs specified
in /etc/pccard.conf are a complete crapshoot?  We're pulling rabbits out
of a hat?  Jesus.  How does Windows deal with this?   Can the PCIC
hardware be told to generate an interrupt?  Can we use this during the
device probe/attach to generate a list of IRQs that the PCIC can route
to?  Granted this is rather ugly but we can do this last and only test
free IRQs and complain when we lack free ones but we should be able to at
least get the kernel to bitch and moan when it can't figure things out
rather than confusing people when their ethernet cards fail to function
and stuff like that.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |